***

.

IT GETS AROUND

Got any gossip? Tip off the Taxiwallah: alaintaxi@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A bad smell

I love candles, especially scented ones that fill the home with the smell of baking without the chore of actually doing any baking! Candles are romantic and create a warm homely environment.

However...

This morning I woke up with a splitting headache. No, I hadn't been drinking so I took a some painkillers and forgot about it. The night before I had burnt a scented candle for a few hours and it had filled the room with the wonderful scent of cranberries. Headache now gone, I went to throw out the glass pot that the candle had come in. Imagine my horror when I discovered that the rim of the glass was covered with a thick layer of black soot. Surely that's not right?

Being the Google addict that I am, I did a search on 'soot' and 'scented candle'. It turns out that these innocent candles are not so innocent after all. They contain all kinds of nasty chemicals that are released into the air when burnt. Yuk.

So, I'm going back to beeswax candles. They smell gorgeous and even better, they're non toxic. Now does anyone know where you can buy them in Al Ain?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mohammed UK said...

We are a scented candle home, too, so you've got me thinking... No soot signs so far.

Well Al Ain is well known for its honey, ergo bees! So you could ask at one of the many honey traders in town, probably worth checking what the Arabic is for "beeswax" and "candles" before you go!

2/08/2007 09:49:00 am  
Blogger Acro said...

Do let us know if u do succeed in finding beeswax candles, thanks :).

2/08/2007 10:15:00 am  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

Will do, Acro. Having found any yet.

2/16/2007 07:27:00 pm  
Blogger i*maginate said...

My candles never burn properly, so I never light them, and they look better unlit. What the heck is a beeswax candle anyway? Rhetorical question, pls don't answer it.

2/16/2007 11:55:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home