***

.

IT GETS AROUND

Got any gossip? Tip off the Taxiwallah: alaintaxi@gmail.com

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Where are you Lal?




As a vegetarian (with the occasional fish and chips binge), there's nothing I like more than eating out at a southern indian veggie restaurant. I know that I can eat pretty much everything on the menu and I can spend more than thirty seconds making my choice. While I'm on this topic, yah boo sucks to Chili's whose non carne offerings amount to, well, er, a caesar salad. Have they heard of veggie chilli? I cook a mean veggie chilli and will share the recipe with them for a price...

Yesterday I was up in Dubai and there's a number of veggie restaurants I love, the mainstay being the Saravana Bhavan in Bur Dubai. However, as I was in a celebratory mood I wanted to go somewhere a little more upmarket. I eat quite a lot of indian food at home and have a plethora of pickles and chutneys to go with it. One of my favourites is 'Mohanlal's Lime Pickle'.


For those who do not know, Mohanlal is a movie superstar in Kerala. Eating his pickles prompted me to find out more about the guy on the internet that then prompting me into buying one of his VCDs which was in Malayalam with no subtitles. Me and hubby spent the entire movie trying to spot him as so many of the male actors all look the same. My googling also pulled up a gem: the man has his own restaurant in Karama, Dubai. Me and hub decide we should go there next time we're in Dubai and yesterday I called 181 to get the restaurant's exact location while screaming down SZR (I wasn't driving). I tried the number and got one of those number not available noises. Oh no, don't tell me that the place has gone the way of many eateries in Dubai?

So, we ended up in the Saravana Bhavan again. Does anyone know what's happend to Mohanlals? We want to enjoy our puris under a fiberglass banyan tree!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mohammed UK said...

Fish and Chips? Where? Where? Waiting for return to England for that (Deen's off Stratford Road, Birmingham). Fish World doesn't come close.

Personal favourite veggie places:

Bombay Chopati - great for a snack or three in the evening.

Sakonis - buffet lunch.

5/29/2006 04:35:00 pm  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

I'm afraid the only place in Al Ain where you can get decent fish and chips is my place! I make my own, go back through the archives, I think I posted about it in January.

Get yourself an electric deep fat fryer, some decent hammour fillets (don't bother with the cod you see in our local French hypermarche, its about as fresh as a taxi driver's insole) and some nice big spuds. Oh, and you'll need the ingredients for the batter too.

Yes, Fish World is nothing like the real thing. Don't waste your dirhams there. With a bit of effort you can get something pretty good

5/30/2006 12:26:00 pm  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

Sorry, the post about Fish n Chips was in December.

5/30/2006 02:46:00 pm  
Blogger Woke said...

Taste Buds has closed because it was not profitable. Besides the food wasnt great, the service unfriendly and the place looked spooky trying to recreate the traditional kerala household.
(It was near the Choitram supermarket btw).

He has started a Bake house somewhere in Dubai - not sure where it is. Forget the lime pickle - try the Andhra Mango pickle. Spicccy.

6/18/2006 05:58:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try www.mohanlalstastebuds.com

I think this site was providing the info about the tastebud products

7/31/2006 07:37:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Woke, but traditional Kerala households ARE pretty spooky....

8/13/2006 01:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home