***

.

IT GETS AROUND

Got any gossip? Tip off the Taxiwallah: alaintaxi@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The best 25 quid I've spent for a long time

My biggest indulgence when I go back to the UK are DVDs and videos. In fact, I don't know why I bother to pay for a subscription to satellite TV here as I hardly watch it.

Hub had managed to catch an episode of 'Life On Mars' when he was back in January and he was gutted that he was going to miss the rest of the series. I told him that it would probably be out on DVD one day and we would get it.

We picked the DVD which comes with bonus stuff while we were home and I must say it's the best 25 pounds I've spent for a long time! It's a fantastic series which appeals to my love of cops shows and my fascination with time travel. I also love the 70s having experienced that decade albeit as a child!

Anyway, a some people who watched the show were pissed off that they didn't wrap up all the plot strands in the last episode but I think this is a small price to pay for another series which'll be coming out next year.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger secretdubai said...

I have never had a subscription to any kind of TV in five years here, and all I have ever heard is frustration and nightmare stories from those that do. I have never even had terrestrial TV (never bought an aerial, or bothered to plug one in).

All my viewing is of bought DVDs, a few pirated DVDs (they never really have anything that interests me, I hate most blockbusters), and masses and masses of downloaded content. Quite frankly, I would have paid for a lot of this content if there was the option, but most of it you have to get from overseas (ie it's not in Virgin) and I'm sure as hell not forking out hundreds of dirhams in courier charges to get it here. I do that for a few things, like computer games, but the rest I bittorrent.

And after buying - at full price - a presumably kosher DVD from a video store in a major upmarket mall here, that was clearly a pirated copy when I put it in the player (low resolution and a forced 4:3 aspect ratio - they'd cut off the sides with vertical black bands, ffs) I feel quite justified in downloading better versions.

8/31/2006 02:41:00 am  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

SD,

I know what you mean about being DVDs here. I buy a lot of mine when I go back to the UK as I know that they're likely to be uncut and kosher.

I wish I could work out bittorrent, I'm sumb when it comes to things like that!

8/31/2006 09:50:00 am  
Blogger Elle said...

me too!! tried to download a movie but the end was missing. Haven't tried it again. Come on SD write a dummies guide for us:)

8/31/2006 04:06:00 pm  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

I wish I could work out bittorrent, I'm sumb when it comes to things like that!


"sumb": a combination of stupid and dumb only experienced by The Taxi

8/31/2006 08:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, secret...

Amazon.co.uk doesn't charge that much for postage, just about 3 quid for postage and just 1.50 per DVD or boxset on top of that. You'll save much more than that on the price itself, which is often just half what it costs in Virgin..

Delivery is 5 to 8 days for UAE.

10/30/2006 05:17:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home