***

.

IT GETS AROUND

Got any gossip? Tip off the Taxiwallah: alaintaxi@gmail.com

Monday, January 09, 2006

Skinflint's and Dieter's Guide to Al Ain Part 2

I remember the first time I saw a woman jogging on the streets of Al Ain. She was a western expat dressed in the kind of clothes that you would normally see a woman jogging in on the streets of London or New York. She was already trim and looked like she'd been doing it since she was out of nappies. What was strange was the reactions she was getting from passing drivers, especially the taxi drivers.

They'd slow down, opened mouthed, until realising that this lady could be a potential passenger. So they'd start to hoot and maybe even stop a few yards ahead, hazard lights a-blinking*, hoping that she'd hop in and even better, given them her phone number. You see it's so logical in their minds: an attractive 'gora' would run down the street in tight clothing in the hope she would attract one of those amazingly sexy cab drivers who would invite her into their car.

Yesterday I decided to don my baggiest t-shirt and my sloppiest jogging bottoms and go for a 'power walk'. I made sure my I Pod was cranked to a deafening volume to drown out hooting cabs. I took this photo half-way, it reminded me in some funny way of my childhood.

Anyway, I think I must've burnt off a few calories, blew some mind-cobwebs away and not spent a single fil.


*Hazard lights are over-used out here. Mind you, I think an Al Ain Taxi definately constitutes 'a hazard'

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Punk Dervish said...

I've see many women jogging at the Hilton road at different times.But i never found it to be a scene of dramatic proportions.May be some pdrivers in other localities react differently...

1/10/2006 12:10:00 am  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

i think the drama was caused what she was wearing. Most joggers seems to stick to baggy stuff round here and I cam understand why now. Are you in Al Ain?

1/10/2006 09:15:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep up the effort. Getting out jogging is amazing for your head, even if it ends up being a brisk walk.
Running with baggy clothes is harder than running with jogging clohtes that are more "streamlined". You just overheat too fast and it is distracting to have your clothes flopping all over the place.
It is all about getting in the "zone".
(Might be hard when taxis are circling you)

1/10/2006 05:50:00 pm  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

I think I would cause a crash if I was wearing the skin-tight stuff...and not because I look good in it :-(

1/11/2006 09:55:00 am  
Blogger Punk Dervish said...

I left Alain in 2003. I'll be coming back this fall.

1/13/2006 06:39:00 pm  
Blogger * said...

Umm its "GORI", and not "GORA"
It's not our fault at all really. Its post colonialism. The left overs of memsaabs, nimbu paani's, jaldi jaldi Ramu.

1/14/2006 10:59:00 pm  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

My Urdu's not bad for a Gori...

I can say "Gora log bahut pugal hey!" which I've been told means, "White people are crazy" or maybe it means something else like "I'm a stupid fool trying to speak Urdu"

1/17/2006 06:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home